The seven “post cards” panels depict scenes of Punta Gorda from the early 1900’s to the 1930’s. The first card shows the fountain that was located in the center of Marion Avenue. The spring source was moved to the corner of Marion and Taylor where it is still in use.
The next panel shows “Teddy” Roosevelt in town fishing and hunting. Along with other notables, he was a frequent guest at the Princess Hotel.
Next in line is the former fishing pier where boats unloaded their catches, a popular family owned bakery, a view of early “downtown,” the party held for the opening of the Barron Collier bridge, and the “tin can” trailer park that was once located in what is now Laishley Park. The trailer park residents were moved by the City to Buttonwood Park on Aqui Esta Drive where many still reside today.
This mural was originally completed in 2001 and was located on the east side of the building at the corner of E. Marion Ave, and Nesbitt St. It was sponsored by Dr. and Mrs. Robert Andrews. Some observers have stated that the couple shown in the fountain panel looks like the Andrews. If so, perhaps this was the fabled “Fountain of Youth” sought by Ponce de Leon upon his visit to these shores.
The original mural was destroyed by Hurricane “Charley” on August 13, 2004. The recreation of this mural was dedicated on April 19, 2007. It was recreated in its original location.