Classes & Tours
Want to learn more about the Murals and the History of our area?
We offer Mural Classes and Walking Tours. Learn more about our Mural Program and the rich local history of the area by taking a tour or attending a class. We teach the Class throughout the year and offer Walking Tours during the cooler months of January – April.
“The History of Punta Gorda in its Murals” Classes
Visit all the murals from the comfort of your seat as we walk through 450 years of local Punta Gorda history using the murals as a guide. Hear about the Mural Society and get a sneak peek at upcoming projects. In the classes the murals are presented in chronological order based on the history they depict.
The class is taught in 2 parts:
- “Part 1: The History of Punta Gorda in its Murals: The Early Years” – covering pre-Spanish Exploration to pre-WWI.
- “Part 2: The History of Punta Gorda in its Murals: Post World War I” – picks up where Part 1 left off continuing the telling of our local history from WWI through modern day.
The parts can be taken independently, though it is recommended to start with Part 1. If you are unable to take Part 2 in the same week, the class is designed so you can take Part 2 at a later date.
This class is offered through the Renaissance Academy of FGCU (downtown Punta Gorda at Herald Court Centre). Upcoming Classes are scheduled for:
- February 25th & 27th (2019)
- March 25th & 27th (2019)
To Register call FGCU at 941-505-0130.
Mural Walking Tours:
We are happy to announce that we are increasing the number of Mural Walking Tours for the 2019 season. Through our partnership with the Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce, we will be hosting weekly tours beginning January 10th. This will allow more groups and individuals to participate.
- Offered every Thursday from January 10th – April 4th
- Tour time: 9:30am – 11:30am (Check-in 9:20am)
- Each tour begins & ends at the PG Chamber (252 W. Marion Avenue, Punta Gorda)
- To Register call the PG Chamber at 941-639-3720
We are also increasing the number of participants/tour with the addition of new audio touring equipment. This equipment was made possible by grants from the Shively Charitable Foundation and the Lola G. Hanna Fund of the Community Foundation of Sarasota County. It will significantly improve the quality of our tours.
We look forward to seeing you on a Mural Walking Tour and in a History class in 2019.