Classes & Tours
Want to learn more about the Murals and the History of our area?
We offer Mural Classes and Walking Tours. Learn more about our Mural Program and the rich local history of the area by taking a tour or attending a class. We teach the Class throughout the year and offer Walking Tours during the cooler months of January – April.
“The History of Punta Gorda in its Murals” Classes
Visit all the murals from the comfort of your seat as we walk through 450 years of local Punta Gorda history using the murals as a guide. Hear about the Mural Society and get a sneak peek at upcoming projects. In the classes the murals are presented in chronological order based on the history they depict.
The class is taught in 2 parts:
- “Part 1: The History of Punta Gorda in its Murals: The Early Years” – covering pre-Spanish Exploration to pre-WWI.
- “Part 2: The History of Punta Gorda in its Murals: Post World War I” – picks up where Part 1 left off continuing the telling of our local history from WWI through modern day.
The parts can be taken independently, though it is recommended to start with Part 1. If you are unable to take Part 2 in the same week, the class is designed so you can take Part 2 at a later date.
These classes are offered at the Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association (PGICA) located at 2001 Shreve Street, Punta Gorda. Upcoming Classes are scheduled for:
- January 2020 (specific dates to be announced)
- February 2020
- March 2020
To Register stop by PGICA or call 941-637-1655. Cost is $18 per class or both classes for $30.
Mural Walking Tours:
We had a very successful 2019 walking tour season and will be partnering with the Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce again in 2020 for these tours. We will be hosting weekly tours beginning January 14, 2020. Professional audio touring equipment is used and the tour sizes are limited so advanced registration is recommended.
- Offered every Tuesday from January 14th – April 7th
- Tour time: 9:30am – 11:30am (Check-in 9:20am)
- Each tour begins & ends at the PG Chamber (252 W. Marion Avenue, Punta Gorda)
- To Register call the PG Chamber at 941-639-3720 (Cost is $15pp)
We look forward to seeing you on a Mural Walking Tour and in a History class in 2020.