Attorney Rooney’s Building
306 E. Olympia Avenue
(Corner of E. Olympia & Wood Street)
20′ h x 40′ w
Mural Creation Sponsors
About the mural
This mural pays tribute to the cattle breed which is still being raised on today’s modern Florida cattle ranches. Known as Cracker Cattle, these cattle were brought to Florida almost 500 years ago by the Spanish.
This mural also brings attention to the Cow Hunters and the breed of horses and dogs they used in finding, rounding up and managing the cattle. These rugged men were as at home in the saddle as anywhere else. They were known to be independent, poorly educated, cunning, and of unkempt appearance. They were experts at using a whip. They never hit the cattle with the whip but used it to keep the herd together by cracking the whip next to the cow’s ear allowing them to maintain control of the herd.
The mural depicts Cow Hunters moving cattle down West Marion Avenue in the early 1900’s. Two oval cameo scenes show the cattle being held in pens and then being moved through a single chute to be loaded on schooners (later steamboats) where they were shipped to Cuba.
Last but not least, the mural pays respect to five well known Florida Cow Hunters. Their head shapes have been fittingly placed in the clouds. From left to right their names are: Belford Goff, Corrie Guess, Rob Walker, Pat Johnson, and Charlie Slaughter.
The mural was dedicated on June 21, 2007.